Welcome to Wellington Casinos: Your Comprehensive Guide. Our mission is to provide valuable insights and information to the residents and visitors of Wellington who are interested in the world of casinos and gambling. While you won’t find a brick-and-mortar casino within the city limits of Wellington, our guide is here to shed light on the alternatives, opportunities, and options available to you.
In this guide, we will explore the intriguing landscape of gambling in the heart of New Zealand’s capital city, Wellington. We’ll delve into the unique circumstances that have led to the absence of a casino in Wellington itself, discuss alternative gaming options, and provide a glimpse into the exciting world of NZ casinos. Additionally, we’ll introduce you to other land-based casinos across New Zealand that are easily accessible for Wellingtonians.
So, whether you’re a local seeking entertainment or a visitor curious about the gaming scene in Wellington, join us on this informative journey as we explore the past, present, and future of gambling in this vibrant city and the wider realm of New Zealand. Let’s dive in and discover the fascinating world of Wellington’s casinos and beyond.
Most frequently asked questions
Is there a land-based casino in Wellington?
No, Wellington Council does not allow opening a casino in Wellington!
Can i play games for money from Wellington?
Yes, even though there is no country-based casino, poker games, slots and similare are offered via restaurants, bars and hotels. In addition, you can also play online.
Top 5 places to play slots games in Wellington
Pokie venues, which are locations where you can find gaming machines (pokies), can be found in various pubs, clubs, and gaming lounges in Wellington. While I can’t provide an exhaustive list, I can mention a few well-known venues in Wellington where you may find pokies:
- The Grand Hotel Wellington: This historic hotel and pub often has pokies available for patrons.
- JJ Murphy & Co. Irish Pub: Located on Cuba Street, this popular Irish pub has gaming machines.
- The Green Man Pub: Situated in central Wellington, The Green Man Pub is known to have pokies.
- The Bristol Pub: Located in the heart of Wellington, this pub may have gaming machines for visitors.
- The Featherston City Tavern: This tavern, located on Featherston Street, is another venue where you might find pokies.
Address and opening hours
|Venue Name||Address||Opening Hours|
|The Grand Hotel Wellington||69 Courtenay Place, Wellington 6011||Typically 11:00 AM – Late||Visit website|
|JJ Murphy & Co. Irish Pub||75 Cuba Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011||Typically 11:00 AM – Late||Visit website|
|The Green Man Pub||25 Victoria Street, Wellington 6011||Typically 11:00 AM – Late||Visit website|
|The Bristol Pub||131-133 Cuba Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011||Typically 11:00 AM – Late||Visit website|
|The Featherston City Tavern||33-35 Featherston Street, Wellington 6011||Typically 11:00 AM – Late||Visit website|
Top 5 places to buy lottery tickets in Wellington
- Supermarkets: Most major supermarkets in Wellington, such as Countdown and New World, have Lotto New Zealand outlets within their stores. Shoppers can conveniently purchase Lotto tickets while doing their grocery shopping.
- Dairies and Convenience Stores: Many corner dairies and convenience stores across Wellington serve as authorized Lotto outlets. These small local shops provide easy access to Lotto games for residents and visitors.
- Newsagents and Bookstores: Several newsagents and bookstores in Wellington offer Lotto tickets alongside newspapers, magazines, and other reading materials. This includes stores like Whitcoulls.
- Petrol Stations: Some petrol stations, like Z Energy and BP Connect, have Lotto New Zealand outlets. These locations allow customers to fuel up their vehicles and grab a Lotto ticket at the same time.
- PostShops: Some New Zealand PostShops, including those in Wellington, provide Lotto New Zealand services. You can purchase Lotto tickets while handling postal and banking needs.
What is offered?
- Lotto: This is the flagship lottery game in New Zealand, where you select six numbers from a pool of 40. Draws take place twice a week, and if your numbers match the drawn numbers, you win the jackpot.
- Powerball: Powerball is an additional game that can be played alongside Lotto. It offers a larger jackpot. To play Powerball, you need to select an additional Powerball number.
- Strike: In Strike, you choose four numbers between 1 and 40. If your numbers match the drawn numbers in the exact order, you win the Strike jackpot.
- Keno: Keno is a game where you select numbers, and payouts are based on the number of matches. It’s available at various venues, including some pubs and clubs.
- Instant Kiwi (Scratch Cards): Instant Kiwi are scratch-off lottery tickets that offer instant prizes. You scratch off the covering to reveal whether you’ve won.
- Bullseye: Bullseye is a daily lottery game where you choose a number between 000 and 999. If your number matches the drawn Bullseye number, you win.
- Lotto NZ Instant Play: These are online games available on the official Lotto New Zealand website, offering various instant play games.
Top 3 places to play real Bingo in Wellington
Traditional bingo halls are less common in Wellington compared to other forms of gambling and entertainment. However, there may still be some venues that host occasional bingo events.
Here are a few specific places that have been known to host bingo events in Wellington:
|Club Name||Location||Bingo Events||Website|
|Petone Working Men’s Club||Petone, Lower Hutt (near Wellington)||Known to host bingo events. Check their website or contact them for event schedules.||Visit website|
|Johnsonville Club||Wellington||Has organized bingo nights and similar gaming events in the past. Check for current offerings.||Visit website|
|Upper Hutt Cosmopolitan Club||Upper Hutt||Has hosted bingo events in the past. Contact them or visit their website for event details.||Visit website|
Top 5 places to bet on sports in Wellington
To bet on sports in Wellington, just visit the nearest TAB store. Below we list some of those on offer and a link to the TAB store finder where you can see all possible locations and what applies.
|Name||Outlet Type||Address||Phone||ID Verify|
|Four Kings||PubTAB Self Service Only||Hope Gibbons Building, 7-11 Dixon Street||021309797||No|
|Courtenay Place TAB||TAB Store||89 Courtenay Place, Wellington Central||04 384 6686||Yes|
|The Bond Sports Bar||PubTAB Full Service||12 Bond Street, Wellington Central||04 473 1311||No|
|Cambridge Hotel Wgtn||PubTAB Full Service||28 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington||04 9742229||No|
|Trax TAB||TAB Store||Wellington Railway Station, Cnr Featherston Street & Platform 1/Bunny Street||04-473 9786||Yes|
Visit casinos in the rest of New Zealand
If you want to try visiting a real country-based casino, there is nothing offered in Wellington, but there are 6 other casinos around New Zealand that you can visit.
Below you will see who these are and how to find them:
|Casino Name||Address||Phone||Opening Hours||Requirements|
|SkyCity Auckland Casino||Victoria Street & Federal Street, Auckland||+64 9-363 6000||Open 24 hours, 7 days a week||Patrons must be 20 years or older to enter, and valid identification (e.g., passport or driver’s license) is required for age verification.|
|SkyCity Hamilton Casino||346 Victoria Street, Hamilton||+64 7-834 4900||Open 24 hours, 7 days a week||The minimum age for entry is 20, and valid identification is necessary for age verification.|
|SkyCity Queenstown Casino||16-24 Beach Street, Queenstown||+64 3-441 0400||Open daily from 12:00 PM to 4:00 AM (subject to change)||Entry is restricted to individuals aged 20 and above, and identification may be required.|
|Dunedin Casino||118 High Street, Dunedin||+64 3-477 4545||Open daily from 11:00 AM to 3:00 AM||Visitors must be 20 years or older and present valid ID upon entry.|
|Christchurch Casino||30 Victoria Street, Christchurch||+64 3-365 9999||Open 24 hours, 7 days a week||Entry is restricted to individuals aged 20 and above, with valid identification required for age verification.|
|SkyCity Wharf Casino (Queenstown)||Steamers Wharf, Beach Street, Queenstown||+64 3-441 1495||Open daily from 11:00 AM to 2:00 AM||Patrons must be 20 years or older, and ID may be requested for age verification.|
Top 10 Wellington casinos online
There are no specific online casinos from Wellington, but there is an incredibly large selection of online casinos that you can play at from Wellington.
Here are the top 10 online casino sites for players from Wellington, according to NewZealandcasinos.nz
|Rank||Casino Name||Rating (Out of 10)||Number of Games||Payout Speed||Best Feature|
|1||LeoVegas||10||2380+||Max 24h||Unique Jackpots|
|2||Hell Spin||9.6||7500+||Max 24h||Hall of Flame|
|3||Lucky Start||9.7||1200+||Max 24h||Newest Casino 2023|
|4||PlayOjo||9.6||3000+||Max 24h||Moneyback on Every Bet|
|5||Bizzo Casino||8.6||4000+||1-3 days||Bitcoin Accepted|
|6||FireVegas||9.4||3000||1-2 days||Daily Tournaments|
|7||Casumo||9.5||4200+||Max 24h||Support 24/7|
|8||NeonVegas||9.6||1000+||Max 24h||Daily Rewards|
|9||SpinYoo||9.5||2000+||Max 24h||Bonus on Min Deposit|
|10||Royal Panda||9.2||3000+||1-3 days||Bonus on Every Deposit|
Best places to play poker in Wellington
Poker against real players is offered at several locations in Wellington. Below we list the most popular ones.
|Aces High Poker Lounge||A dedicated poker lounge in Wellington known for tournaments and cash games.||Visit website|
|The Bristol||A pub in the heart of Wellington that hosts occasional poker nights. Check their schedule for events.||Visit website|
|JJ Murphy & Co. Irish Pub||Located on Cuba Street, this Irish pub sometimes hosts poker games and tournaments. Check their events calendar.||Visit website|
|Wellington Poker Club||Organizes poker events and tournaments in various Wellington venues. Check their website or social media for updates.||Visit website|